Nothing like an unseasonably cold spring to make you yearn for iced coffee, sunglasses and denim shorts.
(Note: please do not try and consume sunglasses or denim shorts)
Vanilla iced coffee is ridiculously easy to make and can be jazzed up any way you fancy; Bailey’s or Thornton’s liqueur adds a kick for a more pleasant buzz of a summer’s evening. This is a basic recipe that serves 4, but it can be dialled up or down as needed; making more coffee ahead of time is a good idea because you can eke it out over a few days and have yourself a beautifully caffeinated week.
Vanilla Iced Coffee (Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-free)
Preparation time: 5 mins
Refrigeration time: 3 hours
Glass pitcher/measuring jug holding roughly one litre of liquid; ice cube tray or a packet of ice cubes if you’re feeling particularly lackadaisical; a need for speed.
- 6-8 tablespoons instant coffee (good quality)
- 1 litre boiled water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp runny honey/agave syrup (if you are/you’re serving a strict vegan)
- Ice cubes
- Milk/soya milk/whiskey cream/chocolate cream liqueur to serve
- Boil your kettle and spoon the coffee granules into your jug or pitcher. Once the kettle has boiled, wait a few minutes then poor over the coffee, stirring as you pour to ensure the granules are completely dissolved. Add the honey (or agave syrup if strict veganism is your thang) and vanilla, stir again, then leave to sit on a heat-proof surface for a couple of hours before transferring to the fridge to cool completely.
- To serve, put a few ice cubes in a glass, pour over the coffee then add milk. If you prefer your coffee boozy, I’ve used the new Thornton’s chocolate liqueur, but Bailey’s or any Irish cream will do very nicely.
Price-wise, this is a way more thrifty way of getting your iced coffee fix than going to your local coffee shop – just make a big batch ahead of time and prep it any way you fancy when you feel the need for sweet, cold caffeine. If you’re a fancy-pants young devil and you want to use cafetiere coffee, go for your life! You can customise this recipe to the hilt, and live to fight another day, with your limbs twitching independently of your wishes.
Note: I am not responsible for this recipe’s influence on your caffeine intake. You are probably grown adults. Be sensible. Or don’t! Whatever. I’m not your long-suffering guardian. Clean your room.
No footer comments today. I feel bereft, and I’m sure you do too. This must be rectified.
Thought for the day: today, my stepsister messaged me asking if I thought animals had thoughts like we do… “Like, if there is a duck, and a duck with fancier plumage swims past, might the first duck be like ‘look at that fancy t*at, acting like he owns the pond’?” Just something to ruminate on.